The Medical Assistant is responsible for greeting patients upon entry, perform check in and check out functions, escort patients to exam room and assist with preparation to see the medical provider. They will take the patients vital signs, social and medication history; in addition to assisting the Physician and Practice Manager as needed.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- Room patients, obtain vitals, patient history and the reason for seeking care.
- Process telephone messages.
- Follow prescription refill procedures.
- Maintain patient records confidentially.
- Record patient charges and lab charges for the billing department.
- Assist the provider with patient education pertaining to their ongoing health care: Results of lab and x-ray reports, Diet and exercise, Laboratory and radiology preparation
- Must be able to recognize and respond appropriately to urgent/emergent situations per protocols.
- Maintain work area, exam rooms, supplies, medications, and immunizations.
- Perform basic triage per specific office protocol procedures.
- Maintain a professional appearance and personal conduct at all times.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with physicians, staff, and management. Effectively cope with typical job stress.
- Document work processes as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Working towards Certified Medical Assistant through the Ohio State Department of Health or possess an Interim Certification and pass the National Medical Assistant Certification exam (i.e. AAMA or NCCT) within one year of issuance.
- CPR certification for Health Care Providers.
- Three months experience in an office environment preferred.
- Medical terminology.
- Experience with EHRs
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of CPT & ICD-10 coding procedures.
- Knowledge of medications and injection procedures.
- Working towards current Ohio Medical Assistant-certified certification.
- Must have superior attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task efficiently and effectively.
- Must be able to act calmly and effectively in a busy or stressful situation.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language in person, by phone and in writing.
- Requires adherence to all policies and procedures, including but not limited to standards for safety, attendance, punctuality and personal appearance.